[asterisk-users] Inexpensive device for bandwidth management

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:09:57 CDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Mike <list at virtutel.ca> wrote:
> Thanks....the thing is I need many device (one for each of my hosted
> customers) and I'd like this process to be as easy for non-techies as
> possible, because some of those are technologically-challenged, and need to
> install the box by themselves or with the help of an IT person that only
> knows how to install a run of the mill router.

The mikrotik routers have several management interfaces.
A serial port.  You may need to use this if you inherited
one and do not know the ip numbers, etc necessary
to talk to it over the network.

A web based gui tool that just handles basic features.
This includes something called Simple Queues which may
be all you need for your application.  The technologically
challenged can probably handle this with minimal hand
holding.

If that's not sufficient.  You can have a full scale of queues
using Hierarchical Token Bucket to allocate bandwidth,
and iptables "mangle" to tag the packets and put them in
the right queue, not for the technologically challenged.

You can ssh in to a command line interface that supports
all its features.

Unfortunately you do not get a real shell,
you get their own cli interface, but it is easy for
ISP technicians to work with.

There is also a windows based gui tool that supports all
its features.

Download a copy of the manual and look at all the
stuff it supports.

The manual sucks, but you can get help on their
forums.

> So an out-of-the-box thing would be better, but I was recommende the pfsense
> before and will take a look at it.
>
> Mike

Drew Einhorn