[asterisk-users] Inexpensive device for bandwidth management

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Sun Apr 5 12:21:47 CDT 2009

Mike wrote:
> I'm looking for a good network device that does bandwidth management.
> It can be integrated in a router or stand-alone, but must be SIP-friendly.
>

> I`ve tried the DIR-655 (latest firmware is SIP-hostile, and the latest
> hardware revisions can't downgrade to the version that worked well) and
> the DI-724GU (SIP-friendly, but bandwidth management is automated and
> not configurable enough for my taste), both from D-link.
>

> What else is out there and allows me to do upstream QoS on cable/DSL
> links?  Both D-Link routers were under 200$ (99$ and 159$ respectively)
> and were perfect price-wise for my target customers.

Mike,

You could use something like a PC Engine's ALIX board with monowall or
pf-sense.  The ALIX.2D3 board is around $140.  Netgate has a kit with
the board, case, ps and a 512MB CF card for $187.

AstLinux also has traffic shaping and several other networking features.
  We include Openvpn, racoon (ipsec), and stunnel vpns, iftop, tcpdump
and several others.

If you want point and click pfsense or monowall would probably be best.
  If you're familiar with Linux, you might get more functionality out of
AstLinux.

http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=492

http://m0n0.ch
http://www.pfsense.com/