[asterisk-users] Radio interfaces for Asterisk - ISO image distro

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Apr 4 07:04:47 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:21:36PM -0500, Martin wrote:
> Because you're thinking as a tech geek and not as a businessman.
> They want to build company awarness and sell the complete package and
> that's why they have their own branded ISO.

Sure. If I were to think like a businessman, I would say that they waste
tons of needless effort maintaining a complete distribution and tracking
multiple versions of Asterisk. Those resources would have been better
spent on supporting users of AsteriskNow, Trixbox, and plain old
Asterisk installations.

This also increases the barirer of entry to use their product,
eventually: their users will expect them to re-implement every feature
found in Asterisk. For instance: how do you install their product along
with a Sangoma card?

I've seen this happen with BriStuff. It has an interesting set of fixes.
Many of them are valid (or were, at the time). But Junghanns have opted
to maintain a complete distribution, and thus increasing their cost of
supporting it.

(And if anybody wonders: yes, the same logic applies for including DAHDI
into mainline kernel)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com