[asterisk-users] TODAY April 4 -Global FSW Voice Meeting BerkeleyTIP -Linus, Guido, Shuttleworth...

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sat Apr 4 03:02:40 CDT 2009

Programming Party all day on improving Asterisk, & getting a version
running for the BTIP voice conference.

Anyone:  Please email me or the BTIP list if you know of any recent
(past 12 months) Asterisk videos. Thanks. :)

Join with the friendly, productive, Global FSW community,
in the _TWICE_ monthly, Voice over internet meeting,
  BerkeleyTIP-Global.   GNU(Linux) & BSD, Free SW, HW & FreeCulture,
  Talks Installfest Project/ProgrammingParty

NEW- _TWO_ monthly day long meetings- 10AM-6PM Pacific (GMT -8H) time,
  = 1P - 9P Eastern  =  6PM - 2AM (Sat to Sunday) GMT
  Join in as short or long as you like.
 1st Saturday - April  4    *****  TODAY  *****
 3rd Sunday   - April 20

=====  LOCATION - ONLINE, IN YOUR AREA, OR AT U. California Berkeley
http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/remote-attendance
http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/directions

===== NEW VIDEOS:
Linux Torvalds    - GIT
Mark Shuttleworth - Debian & Ubuntu - Debian & Derived Distros
Krafft Shuttleworth Levsen - Debian Derivers Roundtable
Fabricio Cannini  - Debian High Performance clusters and supercomputers
Guido Van Rossum  - Python 3000
BestTech LAMPR    - Get Started with Ruby on Rails in < 5 minutes
Culture - Professor Wikipedia - The funniest video of the year.
  [Citation needed.]

[Thanks to all the speakers, videographers, & organizations.  :)
Please excuse if I mistyped names.  <8-0
I hereby invite the speakers to attend BTIP for Q&A & discussion.
Please notify the speakers if you know how to contact them, thanks. :) ]

Download the videos & watch them before or during the meeting.
Join online during the relevant topic hour to discuss each video.
[See below for longer talk descriptions.]
http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/talk-videos

=====  YOU GIVE A 5 MINUTE LIGHTNING TALK
4 PM.  Let us know in advance what you'd like to talk about. :)

===== NEW MEETING COMPONENTS
FREE CULTURE - Wikipedia, Creative Commons, etc

COLLEGE MAJORS
  Business, Medicine, Law, Engineering,
  Art/Lit/Science/Social/Psych/Humanities/LiberalArts, etc

SOFTWARE: Games

===== SCHEDULE / AGENDA 10AM - 6PM Pacific time (= GMT - 8 Hours)
TIME    TOPIC / ACTIVITY
10 A    Set up.  Get on IRC & VOIP
11 A    Installfest; Ekiga3
12 N    Asterisk, OLPC, Games;
        PROGRAMMING PARTY: VOIP Conference client & server
1 P     Xen, Virtualbox; LAMPR - Database; Law; GNU
2 P     KDE & GNOME; Macintosh; FreeCulture: Wikipedia,CreativeCommons
3 P     Debian; BSD; College & University groups; Business
4 P     LIGHTNING TALKS; Ubuntu
        Hardware- Ex: OpenMoko Phone; Medicine
5 P     Art/Literature/Music; Python; INetWebDev;
        Local simultaneous meetings arrangements for next meeting

===== Voice/VOIP CONFERENCE MEETING TECHNOLOGY
Join in on IRC, & we'll help you get on VOIP.  :)

IRC: #BerkeleyTIP, irc.freenode.net
Hardware: VOIP Headset- (USB recommended for echo cancellation?)
Software: Ekiga(GnomeMeeting) recommended. SIP
VOIP server: Ekiga.net
http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/remote-attendance

===== LOCATION GROWTH:   GREAT PROGRESS
In March we QUADRUPLED our international attendance. :) Welcome :)
  GLOBAL: Germany, England, Iran, India
  US: So far: Hawaii, California, Washington, Michigan, Virgina,
  NCarolina
When will your state or country 1st join in???

=====  PROJECT / PROGRAMMING PARTY
Work on your own project, or the group project.

Share details of your project on IRC, VOIP & the mailing list.  Invite
others to join in your project.

Or, work on the group project - Learning about & Improving Ekiga,
Asterisk, & our VOIP conference system/technology.

http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

=====  THANKS, HOPE YOU JOIN;  FOR FORWARDING
I hope you join in the meeting.  :)

Join by yourself, or invite  your friends over & have a party.  Have a
party at your home, or at a local to you location - a WiFi cafe, or at a
college or university is a great place for a meeting.  :)

You are invited to forward this message wherever appropriate - Ex:
perhaps your local meeting group (LUG, etc), or whatever, if you see
this on a global mailing list.

===== VIDEOS - MORE DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS:
3 from DebConf08:
1) Fabricio Cannini - Debian High Performance clusters and
supercomputers, 1hr

2) Mark Shuttleworth on Debian and Ubuntu - Keynote current state of
collaboration between Debian and Ubuntu, progress made, and new
opportunities for collaboration and development.

3) Debian Derivers Roundtable discussion - prominent developers of
Debian-derived works, including Martin (Debian Edu). 1hr

Linus Torvalds on Git - Git is a rewrite from scratch concurrent
versioning system that Linus wrote to replace cvs, subversion (svn) and
other versioning systems used in large collaborative software
development. Benefits, drawbacks and insufficiencies of other versioning
systems in common use.  Google Tech Talks

Guido Van Rossum, Python 3000, Google, 1h 25m

Topic LAMPR: Get Started with Ruby on Rails in less than five minutes -
BestTech

Free Culture - Professor Wikipedia - CollegeHumor -
A short but interesting take on Wikipedia, and the side effect of anyone
being able to edit the content. Listen as Professor Wikipedia alters his
lecture presumably because people are "changing" his lecture behind the
scenes.  The funniest video of the year. [Citation needed.] 02:55