[asterisk-users] Grandstream surveillance devices

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sat Apr 4 01:45:36 CDT 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> I just got a spam from telephonydepot (which I invited to spam me, so I
> guess I have to call it legit marketing :) ), and they have some new
> device that is meant to be a surveillance camera with audio, but the
> interface is POE and SIP!  A cool idea.  Anyone playing with this toy yet?

Isn't think just their GXV3000 video phone?

There are some menu options for video surveillance mode, but I've never used
them. I think the phone just streams to an IP address. My own one is set
to auto-answer, so people who call it know if I'm in or not...

I have half a dozen of these in the field - all friends & family use
though. I see they have a new models out too. (and the price has gone up
)-:

> I am trying to wrap my head around how asterisk might fit with the model
> of this camera being "recorded" 24x7 with a continuous video/audio stream.
> Does asterisk even support recording video streams?

I'm able to leave video+voice mail on an extension and Record() records
video plus audio. I did ask about video+audio on hold a while back, don't
think that's in yet.

I think it's pretty good what they're squeezing into the devices - the
early software wasn't without issues (like most Grandstream stuff), but
the current s/w has been very usable and stable for 6 months or so now.

Gordon