[asterisk-users] Bridging Avaya IP systems and Cisco IP system

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 17:25:59 CDT 2009

2009/4/3 John Todd <jtodd at digium.com>:

> On Apr 3, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Gavin Henry wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Has anyone put * in between an Avaya and Cisco system to connect two
>> offices together?
>>
>> I was thinking about adding a SIP trunk on each side and getting
>> Asterisk to pass calls between them. There is a leased line for
>> bandwidth.
>>
>> Any tips/ideas on whether this is possible or dumb?
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> Gavin -
>   The short answer is yes, this is possible, and is done quite
> often.  How exactly you configure it is of course the trick - there
> are many possible different methods by which you might accomplish this
> feat, depending on what your existing resources are and what your end
> goal is.  T1? PRI? H.323?  You may consider IAX2 for trunking and save
> a lot of bandwidth as compared to SIP, if bandwidth is a concern.  If
> you're using T1 or PRI, you'll need a hardware card to do this.
>
>   I'd start with setting up a basic Asterisk server from source and
> getting two SIP phones working on it.  I'd not suggest using one of
> the GUI-enabled versions - that may be more layers of stuff than
> you're looking for given your stated goal.  Figure it out, read the
> O'Reilly Book (Asterisk: The Future of Telephony) and you'll probably
> figure out fairly quickly how to use Asterisk as a black-box trunking
> interface for your systems.

Thanks John. Yeah, we've done this for an Avaya system already using
H.323 and we can
just add a sip trunk to the CCM and do dialplans accordingly. Just
need to get some specs on
what each side is from the client.

We could put a simple box on each side and use IAX2 trunking, sure.

It's simple and I should have thought it through before posting ;-)

Cheers John.

Gavin.