[asterisk-users] Radio interfaces for Asterisk - ISO image distro

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Fri Apr 3 16:25:53 CDT 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 11:19 AM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 10:43:08AM -0700, John Todd wrote:
>>
>> I just ran across these guys - looks very interesting:
>>
>>  http://xelatec.com/xippr/install
>>
>> They distribute a self-installing ISO with Asterisk, FreePBX, and
>> some
>> pre-built software to do "radio over IP".  You'll need to buy the USB
>> radio hardware, but it looks really interesting as a pre-built system
>> for radio trunking using some of the Asterisk capabilities.  There is
>> a very narrow but highly interested group of people who use radio
>> interfaces for exotic locations such as oil platforms, ships, or
>> remote off-grid locations to connect Asterisk systems together for
>> long-haul telecommunications access.
>>
>> Hopefully there will be a speaker this year at Astricon who will be
>> going into a very complex and unique system in detail using these
>> components; I'll announce if/when they schedule their talk.
>
> Now, why would they need a separate ISO for that? What extra
> software do
> they have?
>
> One change is obvious: chan_usbradio is not build by default.
>
> The output from cppcheck for it:
> [snip]

Couldn't say why they have a separate ISO other than guessing that it
is a more painless process for "radio" people who don't really want to
mess around with installing things from source.  I'm always interested
in distributions using Asterisk in any form, even though we here on
these lists might consider the differences trivial or possibly even
detrimental.  This particular case seems to be for encouraging
Asterisk with hardware not typically associated with telephony, which
makes it additionally interesting.   When there are four or five of
these distros floating around with usbradio support, I'll start
ignoring them.  :-)

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/