[asterisk-users] Asterisk doesn't relay remote MOH during hold

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Apr 3 03:03:56 CDT 2009

My old idea was to implement an option, since there are many people
with different opinions
on how a PBX should behave when a channel is put on hold.

An option could control how we should handle the bridged channel when
the caller or the callee
puts a call on hold. It could either be local hold, meaning we
entertain the user with music,
or a remote hold, which means that we send the hold forward over ISDN
or SIP and let the
other end handle the hold. This would also work well in larger
Asterisk installations,
where you don't want to fill up trunks between Asterisk servers with
music. The edge server
provides the music, no one else.

In SIP we could easily add a proprietary header for music class
suggestion in these cases.

Asterisk admins should be able to set this option per call in the
dialplan or per device in
channel configurations - or per PBX, also in channel configs.

"local hold" or "remote hold" might mean something else, coming to
think of it. But it fitted
in nicely here.... :-)

/Olle