[asterisk-users] Extract a MOS value from Asterisk CDR

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Wed Apr 1 20:27:48 CDT 2009

Thank you for the interesting links on MOS values and calculations!
It seems that many (most?) of the values that are used to construct R
and MOS could be obtained from the data that exists within the
dialplan, at least as far as the visible RTP path is concerned.   Or
is there data missing in the current RTCP statistics that would be
required to make correct R/MOS value estimates?  (If so, then that's
on-topic for asterisk-dev, otherwise this should be moved to asterisk-
users...)

Here is the data that I think is already visible:

  - codec choices
  - round-trip delay to RTP endpoint
  - packet loss
  - jitter

I think it is too complex to determine "Irecency", "A" or packet loss
bursts unless there is significant additional code added to Asterisk
to capture more granular time-slices of data on each call.  I also
think that mid-call codec changes should not be considered due to
complexity.  Currently, I think this is un-necessary since most people
don't even seem to compute MOS to start with.

So in your examination you may come up with a script or dialplan that
creates a synthetic R or MOS value - could you post it to a blog, or
if it is very short, to the asterisk-users mailing list?  I think this
would be worthwhile.

JT