[asterisk-users] OT: real 2 line phone vs. 1 line and call waiting

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 22:09:35 CDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Lyle Giese <lyle at lcrcomputer.net> wrote:
> 1) a two line phone can register with two different * servers or sip
> carriers.

Many phones/ATA with multiple lines only allow 1 server and multiple
registrations!

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Lyle Giese <lyle at lcrcomputer.net> wrote:
> I have never been convinced that VM via email is a convenence.  You have to
> use the loudspeakers on the PC or headphones, which is not as convenient as
> a handset.  Not to mention the privacy issues/problems using loudspeakers
> for VM.  Do you want your kids/wife overhearing your customer that is upset
> with you?

I find it very convenient because I use a Windows Mobile phone with an
Exchange server. So if someone leaves a message while I am out of the
office 1) I am (pretty much) instantly notified 2) I can listen to the
message (after download which takes 2-3 seconds normally) without
having to place a phone call, which avoids using airtime and is just
faster than placing a call, going through the menu, listening to all
other messages, etc. And  I know who the caller is beforehand so I
know if the message needs attention right then and there or if it can
(or should) wait until later..... each to his own I suppose.