[asterisk-users] is DNS SRV enough for failover?

Andres andres at telesip.net
Tue Sep 30 21:43:52 CDT 2008

Nhadie wrote:

>hi,
>
>i'm using DNS SRV for failover, i tried to test shutting the server
>down, sip client should still register on the other server but it did
>not.  i'm using x-lite which i don't know if it's doing a srv query.
>does this mean SRV is not enough for failover? if a client has dns
>caching would this cause a problem?

No it would not.  You should have at least 2 SRV records pointing to
your 2 servers.  It is ok if your client is caching them if they are not
supposed to change.  The problem lies in your client.  It should realize
after a few seconds of trying to register to your main server that it
cannot so it should try the next one in line according to your SRV Records.

We have deployed thousands of Linksys units configured to query SRV
records and they work fine in failover scenarios.  I cannot comment on
X-Lite.

Andres
http://www.neuroredes.com