[asterisk-users] Asterisk Documentation now on voip-info.org Wiki

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Sep 30 16:04:17 CDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Josiah Bryan <jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
> wrote:

> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> >> I considered that as well. My thoughts:
> >>
> >> 1) Ungoogleabelness (if thats a word :-) - since google already ranks
> >> voip-info.org high on search for asterisk related content, I thought
> the
> >> docs should be where the users are, not vis-a-versa.
> >>
> >> 2) Formatability - the docs are plain text in subversion, whereas
> >> putting the in the wiki offers the possibility for formatting and
> >> auto-linking as the algorithm presents itself.
> >
> > Do you intend to add that formatting in your script? They can't be
> > changed manually.
>
> The script design supports plugin formatting as it stands. E.g. I can
> insert any formatting algorithm if anyone has any suggestions. Right
> now, the formatter script just does:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use strict;
>
> my $file = $ARGV[0];
>
> print "~pp~\n";
> print `cat $file`;
> print "~/pp~\n";
>
> Any formatting can be added as desired - this was just a quick way to
> get the content online.
>

> >> 2) UI similarity - linking to the file on svn, for example:
> >>

> http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/branches/1.6.0/doc/callfiles.txt?view=co
> >>
> >> Brings just the plain text view, whereas putting it in the wiki offers
> >> the same UI as the rest of the site.
> >
> > http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.6.0/doc/callfiles.txt
> >
> > Looks better.
>
> I agree - if you're looking for the change log. However, I (if I were a
> first-time asterisk user) probably don't care for the change-log-esque
> view, I just want to read the text for myself.
>
> However, I'd be happy to add links to the svn at the bottom of the page
> if that is desired. Thoughts?
>
> Cheers!
> -josiah
>
> --
> Josiah Bryan
> IT Manager
> Productive Concepts, Inc.
> jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
> (765) 964-6009, ext. 224

I think there should be links for changelogs and links for every different
language, so script that up ASAP :-P

I only bother with the changelog to see why something may be broken or if an
upgrade might fix something.  I don't think too many people care about it on
the wiki anyways.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro