[asterisk-users] How to tell the underlying carrier for your ITSP.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Sep 30 14:28:57 CDT 2008

FYI, for everyone party to the PSTN number discussion:

You can generally tell which underlying carrier your DIDs belong to
using an information source that aggregates both NANPA (www.nanpa.com)
10,000 block and Neustar pooling information (www.nationalpooling.com).

Generally, localcallingguide.com is an excellent choice for this,
although telcodata.us and others that people are fond of work well also.
  Sometimes the data isn't current, especially because blocks in pooling
areas or areas with mandatory pooling change hands somewhat frequently.

On LocalCallingGuide.com, if you go to Area Code/Prefix/OCN search and
put in the NPA-NXX of your DID, you will get the code assignment or
pooling assignments if the block is pooled, e.g.

   NPA-NXX-Y ... Carrier 1
   NPA-NXX-Z ... Carrier 2

Pay attention to this pooling information.  A lot of the carriers that
nationwide DID providers use (XO, Global Crossing, Level3) have pooled
blocks.  The aggregate 10,000 block information is not going to apply to
your specific DID in a great deal of MSAs.

Of course, it is very possible that the number is ported, in which case
figuring out the LRN and OCN/SPID of the carrier is much harder unless
you are a carrier and have NPAC access.

Contact me privately off-list if you are having problems with a DID and
I might be able to help you determine the underlying carrier.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems