[asterisk-users] Asterisk Documentation now on voip-info.org Wiki

Josiah Bryan jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
Tue Sep 30 12:35:00 CDT 2008

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:32:41AM -0400, Josiah Bryan wrote:
>> Hey All -
>>
>> Link to the index page:
>>
>>      http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Documentation
>>
> Why not link to the SVN instead?

I considered that as well. My thoughts:

1) Ungoogleabelness (if thats a word :-) - since google already ranks
voip-info.org high on search for asterisk related content, I thought the
docs should be where the users are, not vis-a-versa.

2) Formatability - the docs are plain text in subversion, whereas
putting the in the wiki offers the possibility for formatting and
auto-linking as the algorithm presents itself.

2) UI similarity - linking to the file on svn, for example:

http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/branches/1.6.0/doc/callfiles.txt?view=co

Brings just the plain text view, whereas putting it in the wiki offers
the same UI as the rest of the site.

Note that all these comments are merely my thoughts - feel free to
comment against them at will. If desired, I can update the index page
generator to just put links to the svn instead.

Cheers!
-josiah

--
Josiah Bryan