[asterisk-users] Maybe OT - routing calls in PSTN

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Sep 30 10:38:02 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Bill Michaelson <bill at cosi.com> wrote:

> I have a Vitelity DID which generally works, but calls from a particular
> caller do not reach it.  Vitelity has thus far disavowed any responsibility
> for working through this problem.  I recognize that some action might be
> required by another provider which is outside Vitelity's control, but it
> seems that they should at least be trying to help resolve the problem by
> helping me determine the responsible party and facilitating contact -
> because it is their DID/service that cannot be reached.
>
> In the past when I had a similar problem with a Junction DID, the folks at
> Junction resolved it with no hassles and zero intervention on my part.  But
> Vitelity just keeps closing out my trouble tickets while responding in a way
> that indicates that they are not reading my reports carefully.
>
> How does this compare to others' experiences with Vitelity and other
> providers?  Is there a way that I can determine whom to contact given only
> an originating number?  Any words of wisdom?  Documents I can read for
> educating myself?

I had this issue with VoicePulse a long time ago, they said they didn't
officially support Asterisk and that was obviously the problem (quick easy
way to make me go away).

I leave Asterisk out of most conversations on tech support nowdays.  I get
much further that way.

I said "look, humor me, do you have a cell phone?  Dial this number...., oh
the call went through?.  Does your desk phone use your "system", oh it does,
please humor me and try the same number, oh it didn't go through...?  I
think that eliminates any config issues on my side don't you?"  He could not
argue that fact.

It was promptly fixed "two days", they had to contact and work with the
other carrier, something about "reloading switching tables" was the
explanation given to me.  I didn't care, so long as it worked.

I have had no problems with Vitelity but just use them for testing so I
would probably eventually have the same issue.  Do they have a support line
or just a ticket system?

Maybe you could use a take on my above story to help prove your case.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro