[asterisk-users] ATA for large networks

Thanos Koukoulis thanosk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 09:01:46 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:

> 2008/9/29 Thanos Koukoulis <thanosk at gmail.com>
>
>> Otherwise you can try Software SIP Phones if everyone is using a PC
>>
>> Beside few people, it's very difficult to swap hardphones and softphones.
> Have you observed any successful experience in doing so ?
>
> Cheers

Well my experience with major softphone deployment was using Cisco Call
Manager.
In that situation we had ~150 softphones and ~100 IP Phones. Apart from the
initial configuration and taking extra care that the machines running the
softphones were configured
correctly we experienced very few problems.  Extra care had to be taken to
select good quality headphones and USB headphones did tend to work better
than ones connected to
sound cards.
Problems arose when the users 'tinkered' with their machines (which we
eventually locked down pretty hard) or an unrelated application crashing
causing the whole machine to slow
down to a crawl and affecting voice quality significantly.
Otherwise things did work rather smoothly and the extra mobility gains for
some of our users
(moving around the office with their mobile PCs) made it worthwhile.