[asterisk-users] Creating Asterisk Binary Package

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 03:30:29 CDT 2008

Steven Howes wrote:
> Just copy the src folder and do `make install` on each machine?
> Then tar and copy the /etc/asterisk folder if config is important too.
>
> On 29 Sep 2008, at 08:41, Jim Boykin wrote:
>
>> Is there a script to create an Asterisk binary package after it is
>> compiled on one system.
>>
>> We do not want to compile Asterisk of each system where we want to
>> run. I am sure there is a way but I could find it.

Another way is after running "./configure
--prefix=/your_prefered_layout" and make, when running the "make
install" command set the DESTDIR prefix to something like ~/asterisk and
it will install everything under that prefix.

e.g $ make DESTDIR=$HOME/asterisk install
You can then make a tarball of the hierarchy from within the DESTDIR
root and extract it into the right place (i.e. "/") of any other host.

Of course all this assumes:

1. you know what you are doing ;-)
2. your hosts are all using the same versions of kernels/libraries etc...

HTH

Alan