[asterisk-users] users.conf behavior

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Sep 26 19:33:35 CDT 2008

Dave Poirier wrote:
> I have an Asterisk server running 1.4.20 and I have all my users in
> users.conf. Inside users.conf I used...
> #include "ww-users.conf"
> Thats seems to work great with one exception...
> The exception is that anytime anyone updates their voicemail password,
> Asterisk rewrites users.conf combines ww-users.conf and it removes my
> include line from users.conf. Is that expected behavior? I guess that I
> would have expected it to know to write the changes to the corresponding
> include file. Is there a better place to put the include? Maybe a better
> way to handle breaking my users up by location? Should I be using and
> include in the users.conf

This is a flaw in the design of the config file rewriting logic in
Asterisk 1.4.x; it's been redesigned in Asterisk 1.6 and doesn't have
this problem. Unfortunately the code changes required to do this were
too invasive to risk putting into 1.4.

If you are going to use the Asterisk GUI (which is what rewrites
users.conf), you should just leave all the users in the single
users.conf file; there's really not much value in splitting them up.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies