[asterisk-users] Bizarre international call problem.

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Fri Sep 26 14:04:30 CDT 2008

Hi, all.  We've got a PoS legacy PBX at my company that doesn't have call
accounting.  I figured, "Hey, why not stick a dual-span T1 Asterisk-based
system in the middle?"  Then, I just passively pass in-bound calls to the
PBX, and outbound calls to the PSTN.  I can then have Asterisk do all the
call accounting, and everything should Just Work.  Right?

Well, not so much.

My outbound dialing rule was incredibly complex:
exten => _X.,1,Dial(${PASSTHROUGHTRUNK}/${EXTEN})

And everything seemed to be working ducky, until I went to call Germany
and got -- a local cell phone number.  Needless to say, this puzzled me
greatly.  A quick look at my log, though, showed that all calls dialed
with "011" were being submitted from the PBX to the Asterisk box without
the "011".  (Ironically, if I dial the number with "011011" in front, it
goes through fine.)

So I'm confused: any ideas on how this worked when the PBX was hooked
straight to the PSTN?  Is there some SS7 signal or something that says,
"This is an international call", when the number has no 011 preface?  I'd
hate to have to revert, but I will if need be... *sigh*

Thanks for any insights.  I'm totally flummoxed.

-Ken