[asterisk-users] sip forking needed for ekiga 3.0

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Sep 26 09:52:09 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 10:41 -0400, SIP wrote:
> Oh yes. It's perfectly legal.
>
> It's also a) NOT SIP forking, b) Lazy, and c) Poorly designed.
>
> Sending multiple requests and hoping and praying that the recipient will
> ignore two of them (it will NOT in many cases -- specifically set out by
> the RFC -- see MESSAGE) because the tag is different doesn't make it any
> less poorly designed just because it's not specifically written that it
> can't be done.

The Ekiga developer points out:

        Have a look at this link :
        http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3261.html

        And look how an UAS (Asterisk in this case) is supposed to handle merged
        requests :
        8.2.2.2 Merged Requests

           If the request has no tag in the To header field, the UAS core MUST
           check the request against ongoing transactions.  If the From tag,
           Call-ID, and CSeq exactly match those associated with an ongoing
           transaction, but the request does not match that transaction (based
           on the matching rules in Section 17.2.3), the UAS core SHOULD
           generate a 482 (Loop Detected) response and pass it to the server
           transaction.

              The same request has arrived at the UAS more than once, following
              different paths, most likely due to forking.  The UAS processes
              the first such request received and responds with a 482 (Loop
              Detected) to the rest of them.

        In our case, the From tag is different, so it should not detect a loop.

        This excerpt show that any client or server should be able to receive merged
        requests. There is obviously a bug here in Asterisk.

I have no idea how (in-)correct it is, again, just being the messenger.

b.