[asterisk-users] Astricon people please post the announcement

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Sep 26 03:59:35 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 05:25:52PM -0700, Fred Posner wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2008, at 11:06 AM, Steve Anness wrote:
>
> >So what a minute.  They will charge us to use Skype with our Asterisk
> >servers?  Yes, I think I shall move along.
> >
> >Steve
> >

> I talked with both Skype and Digium today at Astricon for a while on
> this... it's actually going to be amazing. The license for Skype will
> be the same way you license g.729. So yes, it's not free... but you're
> only paying for in use channel capabilities...

There are already a number of such Skype connectors. Some of them claim
to be free (that is: no charge). Some of them take money. I'm not sure
if Skype/eBay sees any of that. They tend to at least bend Skype's
license if not break it completely (e.g: run a client in a XNest server
is a common trick to work around the requirement in the license of the
Skype API for an interactive client).

So now that we have a "blessed" client for which Skype/eBay gets payed,
what happens to those others? Will they still be legal?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com