[asterisk-users] OT: Do You Know What the Problem With CDMA is?

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Thu Sep 25 09:41:45 CDT 2008

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) wrote:
> On September 25, 2008 09:01:52 am Dean Collins wrote:
>
>> Yep you got it.... world coverage includes all the countries of the
>> world like USA, Canada and Mexico, and not something like USA and 212
>> other countries globally.
>>
>> BTW I hear that Iraq also now uses CDMA (some senator shoe-horned it
>> into a funding bill for the war that they had to use CDMA to 'support
>> usa businesses'), of course that means that they now use a different
>> handset type to all of their neighbours....... though I hear Iran will
>> also be forced to implement CDMA once they are 'liberated' which should
>> be any day now :)
>>

> That doesn't mean that GSM towers won't be built, it just means that the CDMA
> towers will be there first.
>
> I dunno; GSM 3G is all CDMA tech anyway.

Yes, but it is a standard agreed upon by a large number of carriers
around the world.

Once CDMA has gone the way of the dodo in North America, I really will
miss one of my favourite scenes:-

Visiting Brit steps off plane and checks phone for messages...

Puzzled look appears as they ask "Why doesn't my phone work? It worked
fine in France/Italy/Germany/Timbuktu."

You start to explain about CDMA and their eyes open wide as they realize
they have just stepped back into the cellular stone age...

regards,

Drew