[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4 or 1.6

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 23 18:13:03 CDT 2008

Joseph wrote:
> I need to upgrade my Asterisk, currently I'm using 1.2.27 from Gentoo portage but I think this version has a problem with RFC2833 DTMF signaling and I don't think there
> will be any newer version available anytime soon on portage.
>
> I need stable version, I'm using Asterisk mostly with ATA adapter (Linksys and Sipura);  should I go to 1.6 or 1.4?

By saying you need a stable version, you've answered your own question.
1.6 has not yet been released and therefore should not be considered to
be production ready yet.  Upgrade to version 1.6 at your own risk only.
Some people have reported 1.6 to be very stable, others (such as myself)
are still having occasional problems with it.  For me, these issues
aren't a great concern since it's a home system, but at least for the
moment, I wouldn't consider running 1.6 in a production environment.