[asterisk-users] DNS Query Overload

Mik Cheez michael_bulk at wildgate.com
Mon Sep 22 10:51:08 CDT 2008

What you should do, assuming that each DNS request is invalid and
returns nothing, is add a fake domain on your box that all of these
requests will point to.  That is, if mydomain.com is the DNS name it's
looking up, add mydomain.com to a named server on the same box.  Make
sure you include forwarders into the named.conf file pointing to your
DNS servers, as well as add a zone for mydomain.com.

zone "mydomain.com" {
         type master;
         file "mydomain.com";
};

In the mydomain.com zone, add a wildcard A entry which will always
return the localhost address:

*.mydomain.com. IN      A       127.0.0.1

Then point your DNS settings to localhost so all requests will go
through the local DNS server, and reset Asterisk.

In resolv.conf:

nameserver 127.0.0.1
search mydomain.com

This is essentially a hack...I've had the same issue in the past, but
was unable to get an answer as to why it's doing this.

Mik