[asterisk-users] Verbosity best practice

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Sep 18 07:07:05 CDT 2008

2008/9/18 Duncan Turnbull <duncan at e-simple.co.nz>

> Its a good question
>
> I have lots of disk space so leave it high, I would rather have the
> detail if I need it
>
> It probably would seem sensible to revisit stable systems after a year
> and lower the verbosity, but then since I can afford the space I am not
> too fussed.
>
> Cheers Duncan

Once, a customer of mine asked one employee's calls listing.
When I read CDR, I discovered most of it was unusable, due to a mistake in
dialplan.

Then, I was very happy to use logs as a second source of CDR : I could parse
logs to complement CDR and provide the listing I was asked.

At that time, I told myself I should think it over and elaborate some rule
about logging verbosity.

So at the moment, I told myself I would "never set verbosity any lower to
the point you wouldn't be able to rebuild CDR from it".

Another thought is the other day, when I tried to shrink customer's logs,
after 30mn of processing, I got "temperature is becoming too hot" warning in
syslog. So I didn't take any chance and stopped the ongoing job.
So having plenty (too much) of logs has a price as I couldn't save them as
conveniently as I would have thought.