[asterisk-users] Can someone give a plain english explanation of the HASH function?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Sep 14 16:09:16 CDT 2008

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> I'm a Perl programmer, as well, so some of the features I introduce into the
> Asterisk dialplan are taken from concepts from that language.  In this case,
> I took the concept of hash variables and create the HASH() function.  I hope
> this clarifies the naming.

Well, the domain of Perl hash keys is limited to its primitives - which
are simple scalars, or values that can be cast to scalars.

Multidimensional constructs are not implicitly serialised to one-way
hash codes, as for example is done with Java objects and the hashCode()
method.

I am assuming dial plan data structures and variables are not supposed
to be much different in terms of their complexity.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems