[asterisk-users] Which internet phone protocol best to choose

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Fri Sep 12 10:28:32 CDT 2008

Hello!
   I'll classify the subject. :-) I have a nasty firewall, I don't have to much
power over. It's javascript based in configuration and I can't use any
graphical browser. The only other person at my home, doesn't know too much
about computers.
   So I know, from experience, that SIP is ugly in that way, what with freely
negotiating port for the real audio stream.
   So which protocol/technique best to choose to communicate with the rest of
the world. Something the glossy windows phones understand, something that's
still rather common and if possible, something you can join free of charge.
   Any suggestion is welcome. If the possibilities are still so numerous: I
believe a lot of my friends trust in X-Lite and other apps, gamers also like
to use. (little kids :-) )
   Kindest regards
           Julien

--------