[asterisk-users] PRI auto-configure - continued from DEV list

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Sep 12 10:08:35 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 09:53:48AM -0400, Bill Michaelson wrote:

> >Also note that Zaptel will anyway reserve all the 24 (for T1) or 31 (for
> >E1) Zaptel channels for the span. So the Zaptel channel numbers will not
> >change whether the span is fractional or full.
> >
> What do you mean by "reserve"?  Seriously, I'm trying to get a good grasp.
>
> I have always assumed that the signal presented by the Adtran TSU120e
> appears as a full 24 channels.  But it was not clear to me how those
> channels are transformed on the TDM side of the fork, if at all, by the
> Adtran.  I supposed they might be remapped within the frames.  But
> thinking (out loud) about it some more, I realize that remapping any of
> the channel positions would likely invalidate some references embedded
> within the Q.931 data stream on the D channel, vastly complicating the
> process by requiring the Adtran to be aware of the content structure at
> a protocol layer that would otherwise be unnecessary.  So I suppose that
> it almost certainly does not remap these channels.  In fact, the nature
> of this animal is such that I suppose for a PRI, each entire frame could
> be passed to the TDM side unmodified and it would work just fine, with
> the PBX ignore the IP channels.
>
> And following this same line of reasoning, the zaptel code would have
> little need to be told through its configuration which B channels are
> available because such information is implicitly available via Q.931 -
> and thus the channels specifications in zaptel.conf serve only to
> restrict usage.  Have I got this right?

The configuration in zaptel.conf is applied to channels before layer 2
is up.

So I guess your question could be rephrased as: do we really need to
specify 'bchan' in zaptel.conf? Any way to avoid that? I do need to
configure the D channel explicitly. But any way to discover the D
channels?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com