[asterisk-users] SIP to IAX?

Kristian Kielhofner kkielhofner at star2star.com
Fri Sep 12 01:47:06 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 8:10 PM, C. Chad Wallace
<cwallace at lodgingcompany.com> wrote:

> At 8:29 AM on 11 Sep 2008, John Millican wrote:
>
>> > Not directly on-topic for this list, but I'd not heard of OpenSIPS
>> > before, so I had a look at the website. It looks to be a fork of
>> > OpenSER. Does that mean OpenSER development has slowed/ceased, or
>> > has the OpenSER project itself morphed into OpenSIPS?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Chris
>> >
>> via a quick google:OpenSER is now OpenSIPS
>> www.opensips.org      OpenSER continues via OpenSIPS A new name, same
>> project
>
> Uhhh, I thought that was Kamailio:
>
> www.kamailio.net
>
> ...I'm confused.

Oh no!  While not on-topic for this list the OpenSER thing has been
confusing lately.  Some company has a trademark on OpenSER.  The
OpenSER project had to change its name to Kamailio (like the
Zaptel-DAHDI issue).

Around the same time there were some problems on the Kamailio board.
There was plenty of activity on the lists, etc but what I took from it
is that Bogdan left Kamailio and forked OpenSIPS.  I believe he will
continue to commit to both (if they give him commit access to Kamailio
back) but OpenSIPS primarily exists for his company (Voice System).

Basically if you have a support contract with Voice System you should
use OpenSIPS.  Otherwise you are free to chose either Kamailio or
OpenSIPS for whatever reasons you like.  There is no OpenSER anymore.

If you are confused you can always just SER (the original from iptel/FOKUS) ;).

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://blog.krisk.org