[asterisk-users] SIP to IAX?

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 11:03:08 CDT 2008

On 9 Sep 2008, at 20:19, Mattias Andersson wrote:

> Hi all!
> I am looking for some software that would work as a proxy between a
> SIP device (SIP phones and ATA boxes) and the Asterisk system
> running IAX. The reason is that I can only get IAX trow the
> firewalls, and can't change the settings.
> One solution I am using are getting several Asterisk system
> communicate trow IAX bout in this case would I rater have every
> persons computer act as a proxy for their own phones (Running Widows
> XP).
> The reason is that the are using laptops and travel, some are
> already using softphons and IAX bout some don't like softphons for
> some reason.
> If it is not any proxy out their, the will I write o of my own. (Of
> cause giving it out for free), I think Asterisk for Windows would be
> overkill.
> Sorry for my poor English.
> Regards

You might find that a decent USB handset makes your reluctant users
happier to use
a softphone. Often the objection is about the 'feel' of the thing.

Also Tesco (and Freshtel) have some IAX devices.

If you really want to put together a SIP to IAX proxy, then a simple
asterisk config would do.
(You might want to look at Freeswitch or Yate , as their Windows
support is a little more
'enthusiastic' than Asterisk's :-) - they both support IAX and SIP )

Tim.