[asterisk-users] SIP to IAX?

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Thu Sep 11 06:51:45 CDT 2008

> I would suggest using OpenSIPS with Asterisk and bypass IAX all together for this
> particular application.

If the users in question are often in hotels abroad, something like this may not solve the problem - I've noticed quite a few hotels are now blocking SIP traffic (presumably so as to "encourage" people to use the hideously overpriced phones in their rooms to make calls from).

Your best bet might well be some low-cost IAX handsets for those users who are unable/unwilling to use softphones. I think Atcom make some IAX handsets - quality isn't great compared to the usual suspects (Cisco, Polycom, Snom, etc.), but they do work.

Assuming the users all have Wi-Fi on their laptops, an alternative might be a simple VPN setup on the laptops, bridged to their Wi-Fi card running in AP mode, then use something like the SIP client on a Wi-Fi capable mobile phone or a Wi-Fi SIP phone.

> An OpenSIPS solution will take care of your traveler's NAT issues (and could
> handle the registrations) while you used Asterisk for voicemail and whatever
> else.
> I've personally used this type of general setup in the past with a great deal of
> success for remote offices and soft-phones on laptops.

Not directly on-topic for this list, but I'd not heard of OpenSIPS before, so I had a look at the website. It looks to be a fork of OpenSER. Does that mean OpenSER development has slowed/ceased, or has the OpenSER project itself morphed into OpenSIPS?

Regards,

Chris