[asterisk-users] Choppy Audio in One Direction

Kevin Ragsdale KevinR at rocketgaming.com
Tue Sep 9 13:15:58 CDT 2008

Hello everyone,

We had one of our PBXs crash due to a hardware failure, and rebuilt it with PBX in a Flash.  We are using the current versions of libpri, zaptel and *.  It's the same server with replacement hard drives - a Dell 2850 with a TE410 T1 card, single PRI.  It was running v1.2 for years with no problems at all.  I'll call this PBX B.  Our main PBX in our corporate office - PBX A - has also been upgraded to the latest libpri, zaptel and * (not running PIAF, but fc7 and a manual installation), although the same problem occurred with the previous version.  We also tried different hardware on PBX B with the same symptoms.

What is happening is that occasionally, audio from PBX B to PBX A will become choppy, while the audio from PBX A to PBX B is unaffected.  It doesn't seem to matter how many active calls there are, and we've tried SIP and IAX trunks with the same result.  The issue will go away for awhile, and then return.  It just happened again, and ping times with full-size packets are a consistent 85-90 ms.  If you call through the PSTN, then the symptoms disappear.  It could be a networking problem, but this didn't start happening until the server crash, and nothing has changed in the networking infrastructure.  Cat /proc/interrupts show that there are no shared IRQs.  We just set the switch port to force 100Mb, Full-Duplex.  The OS on PBX B is CentOS  5.2, kernel 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.  Hyperthreading is turned on, just as it has always been on the server.

Can anyone give my any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks for any help,

Kevin