[asterisk-users] fax detection without answer

JD jdupuy-list at socket.net
Mon Sep 8 14:31:24 CDT 2008

I knew of this, but mostly ignored it since the zapata.conf method is a
universal function. Either a channel (or channel group) does fax
detection or it doesn't. I can't change it in the ongoing script.

In other words, if a call is going to a DID that _shouldn't_ do faxing,
it goes to the fax extension anyway. There is no means of suppressing
the fax detection. Alternatively, if I have fax detection turned off,
there is no means of activating it after the calls has been answered.

And, as far as I can tell, once it jumps to the fax extension, there is
no "go back to where you were before the jump" function.

But considering it, I have speculatively created immediate contexts to
branch to, such as:
-----------------------------------
[incoming-PSTN-context]
exten => 5035551111,1,Goto(FaxCapableDID,${EXTEN},1)
exten => 5035552222,1Goto(PlainDID,${EXTEN},1)

[FaxCapableDID]
exten => 5035551111,1,  Answer
exten => 5035551111,n, blah blah
exten => fax,1, ... dial the fax handler

[PlainDID]
exten => 5035552222,1,  blah blah

[next-context]

Sadly, the documentation on 'faxdetect' is slim. Is this a 'feature'
that fax detection is ignored if there is no fax extension in the
current context? In other words, are there gotchas? (Does ignoring the
fax cause problems?)

Any feedback on faxing in general is invaluable to me.

John