[asterisk-users] Problems with 2 Asterisk servers on same LAN

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Sep 8 07:12:43 CDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Michiel van Baak <michiel at vanbaak.info> wrote:
> On 08:24, Sun 07 Sep 08, Steve Totaro wrote:
>>
>> It may be "simpler" to get "working" but will it be simpler to
>> diagnose the audio issues that will invariably come down the pipe?
>>
>> How about the rather popular error "I should never be called!"?
>> Google it with the quotes.  It seems to get called quite a bit for
>> something that should "Never" be called.
>
> OT:
> I have a couple of asterisk boxen, and yes, I see that error from time
> to time.
> But still, in my opinion IAX2 is a nice protocol and it works great for
> us.
> Troubleshooting is not as hard as you think.
> In my experience, audio issues are either codec related, or connectivity
> related. If it's the connection you will see your IAX peers going
> OFFLINE or UNREACHABLE a lot.
> With SIP you have all this trouble with RTP and routers that dont
> understand it etc.
> </OT>

I think it was/is a nice idea and selling point/feature for Asterisk
but it has always been a moving target.  I know it works great for
some but in my experience it doesn't work well for many.  I think
trunking may have been an issue.  I know many versions had huge issues
making it unsuitable for "business" use and I am sure this will be a
continuing trend.

I am not sure how you know what I "think" but if troubleshooting were
as simple as a codec or connectivity, I would agree that it is easy to
troubleshoot.  I would argue that it has to do with the IAX2 code
itself.  Like I said, it is a moving target, changing all the time.
Do I trust in using something that worked, then didn't, then did,.....
 What about the remote side, upgrades. things beyond my control?

Maybe the problem is that IAX2 is not as set in stone as the RFCs for
SIP?  Who is to say it is or isn't "compliant" to the guidelines?

>> I think I would spend a day or two getting SIP working properly, now,
>> rather than spending days trying to figure out audio issues and having
>> to revisit and get SIP working properly in the future.  After people
>> are actually relying on the system and already have a bad
>> experience/opinion associated with the "New Phone System".
>
> I think they should go with the Tech their DID provider prefers.
> That way you will get the best support from them if something goes
> wrong.

I sort of agree although I doubt I would use a provider that pushed
IAX2 except as an option.  It has also been my experience that when
IAX2 does not work well, the providers do not offer much support
beyond the initial configs, failing that, they suggest using SIP as
well.