[asterisk-users] IAX vs SIP

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 04:30:38 CDT 2008

On 7 Sep 2008, at 21:34, Edgar Guadamuz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been testing a trunk IAX and another SIP, using sipp to
> generate SIP calls to a Asterisk box.
>

> The testing dialplan just connects to another Asterisk box, who
> answers the call and playback some files.
>
> I noticed that the cpu load is higher when I use an IAX, about 90% for
> 25 simultaneous calls. In the other hand, with a SIP trunk the cpu
> load was about the half or less.
>
> In both cases the Asterisk box was in the middle of the RTP path, and
> both the trunk and the sip client had the same codec, ulaw.
>
> Does it make sense? Why is IAX demanding so much cpu load?

Which Asterisk version are you running?
There was a specific version (1.4.20 I think) that had
made IAX super-expensive.

The most recent versions of asterisk _should_ have IAX
being roughly equivalent in CPU usage as SIP

Incidentally if anyone has comparative numbers for IAX vs SIP
on 1.6 betas (or hyper-recent 1.4) I'd love to have them for
a talk I'm doing at astricon.

Tim.