[asterisk-users] G722 and Asterisk 1.6

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Sep 4 08:48:47 CDT 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 6:25 AM, Steve Repo wrote:
> Specifically my questions are,
>
> [1] The quality of voice between g722 and say GSM or 729

I suppose that it's sort of subjective, but I think it sounds
_awesome_.  It's a huge difference in quality to me.  You just need to
try it out.  :)

> [2] Interoperability between phones with g722 and other codecs

Asterisk 1.4 does not support transcoding of G722.  Asterisk 1.6 does
support transcoding, so it can be used in combination with any other
codec that Asterisk supports.

> [3] Asterisk support for G722 phones.

Asterisk should work fine with any phone that supports that codec.
Personally, I have only used it with Polycom phones.  Also, again,
Asterisk 1.4 only supports G722 passthrough, where as Asterisk 1.6 has
full support.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer