[asterisk-users] Inefficient Codec Translation

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Sep 3 13:09:04 CDT 2008

Steve Davies wrote:

> In fact the current behaviour makes perfect sense as it results in
> last-minute transcoding, and utilises the fact that Asterisk may know
> better about the capabilities of an onward link than the originator's
> phone! By specifying g729/ilbc, you are saying that g729 is better on
> that link, so Asterisk tries to be helpful - If ilbc is better,
> specify ilbc/g729 instead :)

As it is supposed to work today, when creating the outbound channels, if
the format being used by the incoming channel is available on the
outbound channel, that format is supposed to be brought to the top of
the list (made first priority), so that we can minimize the need to
transcode.

If this is not happening, then please open a bug report on
bugs.digium.com, with the details that are needed (Asterisk version,
console log trace, 'sip debug' or packet capture, etc.).

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies