[asterisk-users] PRI Splitter

Karl Fife asterisk-users at kfife.mailworks.org
Mon Sep 1 11:03:20 CDT 2008

> "Michael Graves" <mgraves at mstvp.com> said:
>
> Often the watchdog doesn't trip the relays as being mechanical that
> creates a switching glitch. They trip a logic switch so that the signal
> through the device stays clean into bypass.
>
> It's also worth testing to see how the card boots up. Is it clean on
> restart? That is, can you reset it without interrupting your traffic?

Good distinction.  What you're describing sounds more like the RedFone
device which is actively parsing, processing, and routing the digital
media stream of a T1/E1, using a digital switching system not a
mechanical one.  I imagine that in your field of broadcasting, there
would be little tolerance for artificats introduced a mechanical switch.

http://www.red-fone.com/Products/fonebridge2/

The Rhino is just a passive (normally closed) mechanical switch with an
active monitoring system.  The advantage is that it can be used to do
failover on switch Ethernet, Analog or ISDN.  You couldn't get that kind
of flexibility otherwise.

Thanks!
-Karl