[asterisk-users] Sendmail for Voicemail

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Oct 31 15:25:11 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 03:12:44PM -0500, Brent Davidson wrote:
> I ran into almost this exact same problem when I first installed
> asterisk.  My company uses a virtualdomain hosted by our isp.  We'll
> call it mycompany.com for example.  When I first set everything up I
> wasn't able to send any mail from the asterisk server even though it was
> on an accepted IP.  The problem turned out to be that I did not use an
> FQDN along with the e-mail address on the server.  Setting
> servermail=voicemail at mycompany.com in voicemail.conf didn't solve the
> problem so I tried creating an actual mailbox under our virtual domain
> called voicemail.  That still didn't work.  For some reason sendmail was
> still passing "voicemail at localhost" to the mail server.  What ultimately
> solved the problem was setting mailcmd=/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -f
> voicemail at mycompany.com in voicemail.conf.  After that relaying worked
> perfectly.
>
> Apparently the account had to both exist under our domain and be passed
> correctly by sendmail.

MTAs (postfix, sendmail, exim, whatever) can be configured to manipulate
the doman part of the sent mail as well. Specifically attaching a
defualt domain name to outgoing name is a well-known manipulation. The
program sending the mail shouldn't always have to care about who is the
sender.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com