[asterisk-users] Is anyone using * for 2 way video conferencing?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Oct 30 04:34:01 CDT 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

>>> I've been "playing" with video phones over the past month or 2.
>>>
>>> You've got 3 choices: Bottom-end is Xlite, etc. soft-phones.
>>>
>>> Desktop videophones - currently Grandtream GXV3000 and ATL4000's.
>>>
>>> Top of the range Polycom video conferencing units.
>>>
>>> Starting with the top-of the range ones - these "just work"
>>> Don't even need an Asterisk box. Expensive though - I did one
>>> help setup a pair of these, one in the UK, the other
>>> west-coast US. Both with 42" plasma screens. Very nice,
>>> worked very well. Very expensive.
>
> Define expensive and what models?

The softphones are free, the Grandstreams are in the £150 range, the
ATL400's a bit more - £225ish..

I don't recall the exact model of Polycoms, but the nearest in physical
appearance I can find now is £2600. (VSX 6000) I've a funny feeling they
paid over £3000 each for them when they were setup which was some 3 years
ago.

I do recall the plasma screens being just as expensive at the time.

Gordon