[asterisk-users] network design philosophy and practice

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Wed Oct 29 12:10:12 CDT 2008

David Gibbons wrote:
> Two separate networks? Did I miss something? I feel like I'm taking
> crazy pills! Two separate physical networks means twice the hassle,
> twice the maintenance, twice the cost, twice the headache. Not to
> mention the fact that the whole idea of VOIP is to simplify IT and
> focus on converging data and voice networks.
>
> This is what VLANs and QOS do best. I dare say it's what they were
> designed foe. I can't think of any reason that I would ever recommend
> two ports per desk to support telephony -- ever. It's ludicrous to
> think that two ports will be better than one if we're setting up our
> VLANs and QOS properly. A phone takes very, very little bandwidth
> away from the desktop and a decent one will support tagging its
> frames for the alternate voice VLAN.

EVER?  What about Gigabit networks with 10/100 phones?  While some
Gigabit phones are available, gigabit POE switches are not cheap, while
non-POE gigabit switches are pretty cheap and most business class
desktops these days come with gigabit network connections.  In a new
wiring install I almost always insist on two jacks per location rather
than relying on pass-thru connectors on phones.  Try giving a few users
gigabit access to an Exchange server, then taking it away.  They will
certainly not be happy!

Darrick