[asterisk-users] Sendmail for Voicemail

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Oct 29 11:56:14 CDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, asterisk-users at kfife.mailworks.org wrote:

> When I send email from my local asterisk machine, my IP address get's
> RBL'd.
>
> Asterisk is my only reason for running sendmail, so to keep it simple, I
> tried to make my ISP's mail server a 'smart host' (relaying to a trusted
> mail server) but my ISP doesn't allow ANY kind of relaying these days.

So how do you normally send email? How did you send this one?

> I imagine there are many like me who are not sendmail experts who want
> to send Asterisk Voicemal.

One solution would be to switch from sendmail to something you know - but
I'm guessing you're using some canned asterisk solution which comes with
sendmail?

>  Can someone direct me to the quick, dirty
> and secure way to send mail from my asterisk box?  The good news is that
> I'm on a Fixed IP on a registered network with working reverse
> in-addr.arpa lookups, and as you might have guessed, all mail would
> originate from the local host.

So the fixed IP with reverse DNS isn't helping you get by the RBLs - a lot
of which "know" the ISP end-user ranges...

Your ISP must allow some sort of email relaying to let you send email from
your desktop - unless they're forcing you to use a webmail solution?

Do they actively block outbound port 25?

If they genuinely don't provide email relaying, then you might have to
enlist the services of an indepedant ISP and relay via their servers -
this will almsot certinly involve some sort of authentication - usually
SMTP-AUTH, which is very possible in sendmail, but might not work in a
pre-canned version.

I've used and worked with sendmail for more years than I care to remember,
but it seems here that the issue isn't neccessarily with sendmail, but
with your ISP..

Gordon