[asterisk-users] network design philosophy and practice

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Oct 29 11:50:31 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 10:22:43 David Gibbons wrote:
> A phone takes very, very little bandwidth away from the desktop and a decent
> one will support tagging its frames for the alternate voice VLAN.
>
> --snip--
> In almost all cases it is much better to have two seperate networks.
> This may be impractical in some smaller installs, but in any office
> setting we always do this. The only reason I can think of not to is to
> eliminate the cost of the second cable.
> --snip--

The concern is almost never one of taking bandwidth away from the desktop, but
one of the desktop taking bandwidth (especially by introducing latency) away
from the phone.  Though, as you pointed out, a good QOS and VLAN policy will
make that usually unnecessary.  Folks do have to contend with customers who
won't spring for anything but el cheapo network switches, and that's where a
completely separate physical network makes sense.

--
Tilghman