[asterisk-users] network design philosophy and practice

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Wed Oct 29 11:46:30 CDT 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 8:21 AM, Alex Balashov wrote:

> In my experience most of the serious QoS issues arise in relation to
> the
> Internet pipe (if the provider is IP, and outside the network), not
> the
> LAN.  Of course, LANs can be heavily contended, but are not in most
> organisations, especially as gigabit cores are getting increasingly
> common even in smaller mid-size and small organisations.
>
> I would pay most attention to the router(s), unless your PSTN
> connectivity is TDM and on-premise.

I would agree with this as long as you have a decent LAN.  We have
about 60 computer workstations and 85 phones on our network.  The
entire thing is Gigabit.  Each phone (with a few exceptions that we
are running new cable to rectify) has a dedicated ethernet port, no
sharing.  We are NOT however separating the data/voice networks.  They
are on one VLAN.  We may segment later, but only if the need arises.
Right now we have no problems.  I should point out that all of our
switches have 2+ gigabit links back to the master switch.  We've never
had a problem with the phones other than related to the outside world
(telco side).

I won't argue that "best practice" would probably be to VLAN off the
phones, but if you don't have a massive network and are fully gigabit
smart switches etc with good cabling, then keeping the two "networks"
merged should not be a problem.  I do wholly recommend multiple drops
per workstation though.  In a day when I can buy CAT 6 cable for 10
cents a foot, there is really just no reason not to be doing multiple
drops in new installs.

Daniel