[asterisk-users] network design philosophy and practice

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed Oct 29 09:47:58 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Andrew Kohlsmith (lists)
<aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:
> On October 29, 2008 10:19:36 am Bill Michaelson wrote:
>> I'm wondering how prevalent the practice of physically segregating voice
>> and data networks is in the Real World.
>>
>> What are the factors that typically lead to such a decision?
>> DIscussions of pros and cons are most welcome by me.
>>
>> Experiences, anybody?
>
> I'm a pragmatist; most offices have one network jack at each station; I run
> voice and data on the same physical wire, but if at all possible I try to
> split things off using smarter switches and VLANs.
>
> -A.

For me, it has come down to the customer's decision and budget.

I usually recommend two drops per station (or more).  I had a large
pharmaceutical company have me (my cable crew) run four drops to each
work station, rip out all their old 3com switches and replace them
with Cisco switches and new routers, replace all the workstations with
new Dell's with three or five year gold same day onsite support, tear
out their Definity G3 and replace it with a 3Com NBX system, and
replace all of their servers with new IBM servers and migrate
everything over.....

Anyways, two of the four drops were on the phone side of the network
and the other two were on the regular data side.

It was a long process, a huge challenge, a total success and they were
completely happy at the end, but as everyone knows pharm companies
have VERY deep pockets.  My budget was a million or so and I came in
well under.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro