[asterisk-users] Anyone using an Intel Atom ?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Oct 29 08:56:02 CDT 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Steve Totaro wrote:

> The power supply probably consumes about as much as the processor!
>
> My question and getting more off topic, but what would one need as far
> as battery and solar panels to keep one of these running sans moving
> parts?

When I put my Atom board into my office firewall/router/server box, it
ended up sucking about 55W, so a solar panel with at least double,
probably 4x that capacity, feeding lead acids, depending on where you
live.

My "usual" boxes consume much less:

   http://unicorn.drogon.net/power.jpg

So 15W running and that's a 1GHz VIA processor, external "brick" PSU.

Where I live - South West England (aka South Wet England) for PV panels,
I'd be looking for "huge", although it is encouraging to see lots of
little LED based road signs now having a PV panel on top of them.

One of the suppliers here has:

   http://www.navitron.org.uk/product.php?proID=65

they have a small charger/controller to go with these too.

Gordon