[asterisk-users] Decent Voip Phones for enterprise

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Wed Oct 29 02:19:17 CDT 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Kev Szaszvari wrote:

> Hi there
> Can anyone reccomend any voip phones( Cisco, Polycom, SNOM ) that have
>
> * Central Management for all the phones (We dont mind if we have to
> buy the software to manage them)
> * Programable shortcut buttons, So i can program in on certian
> phones quick dials to queues.
> * Optional but bonus, The ability to have a shared address book
> accross the phones.

We just rolled out Snom phones and it was the easiest thing in the
world.

1) Yes, you can centrally manage your phones.  If you realtime SIP
with a database then you can do a complete plug&play setup.  We use a
few scripts to do this here.
     a) Script to respond to the Snom plug&play request (SIP broadcast
message), redirects to PHP script (b).
     b) A few PHP scripts that update the firmware, provision the
phones (via the database), define all the standard buttons, and allow
overrides based upon extension number.

2) The Snom's let you program every single button.  If you want to re-
program the conference button to be a hold button, *shrug* go for it.
You can program a button to function as a BLF, speed-dial and call-
pickup button all at the same time. (Current 7.3.7 has a bug that only
lets you speed-dial and call-pickup when the phone is on-hook, latest
beta fixes that).

3) Nearly perfect support for LDAP directory.  I say nearly because if
you enable the number lookup feature (in addition to the name lookup)
then anytime you dial it will immediately match by name and not let
you see the number you are dialing. It basically forces you to dial-by-
directory, kind of annoying.  I got a bug report in on that.

In regards to 1b, the PHP script gets the MAC address from the phone
(via the URL requested), queries the database, sends back an XML file
with all the registration information.  With SIP realtime, what this
means is that you get a new phone, put in the registration information
in your database along with the MAC address of the phone, then plug
the phone into the network.  Come back 10 minutes later and it has
updated itself to the latest firmware and is ready to make & receive
calls.  If you want more specific information on this I would be happy
to give you the scripts.

As others have noted, the Linksys may be able to do what you want.
But if you do end up switching I recommend the Snom if you want the
best bang for your buck.  Cisco & Polycom are good phones, but getting
a big enough phone that has programmable buttons etc. gets really
pricy. Grandstream is okay, but after comparing them with the rest of
the phones they audio quality just isn't there.  And for us, the Snom
is the only phone I could successfully program to do single-button
call parking, which was a major requirement.

Daniel