[asterisk-users] fax / t38 gateway

Bill Andersen andersen at mwdental.com
Tue Oct 28 17:12:46 CDT 2008

Gordon Henderson wrote:

>I'd never say it was reliable enough to trust in a commercial setting, but
>I think your statements were just a bit too strong - I agree
>wholeheartedly about the V. protocols and copper, but I've found in
>practice that faxing over IP is not just theoretically possible, but quite
>do-able, and is someone wanted to send me a fax (I have no fax machine,
>they're so 80's :), then I'd not hesitate to setup a VoIP DID and give
>them the number...

Gordon,

You are right on target for a cheep way to receive a fax or two.

However, we tried using an ATA and ended up going back to a POTS
line because no matter what I tried, I couldn't get more than about
80% of my faxes to go through reliably.  Of course, we send about
300-400 faxes a day...  You cannot reliably send faxes over VoIP.

./bill