[asterisk-users] fax / t38 gateway

Jonn R Taylor jonnt at taylortelephone.com
Tue Oct 28 15:08:30 CDT 2008

This is caused by your DSL/cable modem buffering the data internally. To resolve this you need to feed the modem at a data rate that prevents it from buffering. I solved this by using a shaping bridge server that does nothing but control the data in and out of the internet connection. I have steady 21ms ping times to the server that my RTP traffic comes from.

I do faxing over VOIP every day and it works! But it only works if you have a stable internet connection with an SLA, which I have. Also having an ISP that only uses a pure IP network makes a big difference. Some DSL providers use ATM to transport IP and this causes high packet loss when their network is busy.

T.38 is a great idea but we need large scale implementation of it, with standards for it to work.

Here is my hylafax log from last week. I removed the numbers for privacy reasons.

Facsimile received since last week:

       Pages     Time Pg/min Errs TypRate TypData
          1     3:17    0.3    0   14400 2-D MMR
         26    16:55    1.5    0    9600  1-D MH
          2     0:46    2.6    0   14400 2-D MMR
         13     5:13    2.5    0   14400 2-D MMR
         14     5:48    2.4    0   14400 2-D MMR
          5     2:33    2.0    0   14400 2-D MMR
          1     0:28    2.1    0   14400 2-D MMR
          1     0:31    1.9    0   14400 2-D MMR
Total                                              63    35:31    1.8    0