[asterisk-users] fax / t38 gateway

JD jdupuy-list at socket.net
Tue Oct 28 11:58:25 CDT 2008

Steven's writeup is great and explains a lot of this.

A shorter answer from a different perspective:

  The folks that devloped the fax V.protocols took into acount typical
copper problems like noise or echo. But what they never conceived of as
even being possible is that a call might shift around in the time
domain. Thanks to jitter/latency, the delay time of a call can change in
the middle of the call. That isn't possible with copper technologies.
This makes faxing over even G.711 a dice roll.

IMO, with a sufficiently large buffer and a rock-solid quartz clocking
system that goes way beyond what is typically seen, it might be
theoretically possible to send a fax over VOIP.

Let me know if anyone finds that anywhere.

John